[VHFcontesting] 222 Activity Night Wrap-up K1WHS

To: "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 222 Activity Night Wrap-up K1WHS
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 10:46:23 -0400
It seems that every time I get on 222 MHz for a Tuesday night, I learn something. The geographical effect of conditions came into a bit better focus as a result of last night.  In previous weeks, signals to many areas had been quite poor. At times, I wondered if my receiver had a problem.  Last night convinced me that local conditions can vary widely as weather patterns move through an area. The effect can vary widely over a few tens of miles.  Last night, I had a great QSO with James, N2JMH in western NY and his SSB signal was just splendid at S8 or so. Then, I was called by N1GJ on Cape Cod. George was quite loud with my beam pointing out west. In past weeks I had trouble copying N1GJ Q5 on SSB when our beams were aligned on each other.  My take on last night was that things were pretty good.

I keep thinking about Ross Hull back in the 1930's, setting up a recording apparatus at his boarding house on Selden Hill in West Hartford. He then tried to coordinate his readings with weather maps and whatever else he could think of.  I am convinced that storm centers have a huge effect as they pass through an area, and that the effects are very localized, and drastic.  Last night, we had no winter storm center that had passed through northern New England. As an aside, Ross Hull's house in West Hartford is now the home of a childhood friend who was in my jr high school art classes. What are the odds? Some other occupants of that house included Ed Tilton W1HDQ, John Huntoon W1LVQ, Doug DeMaw W8HHS/ W1FB, and may other ARRL fixtures.

Stations worked last night included N1SV, WZ1V, WA3NYF, WA3EOQ, K1PXE, N2JMH, N1GJ, WA1T, K1OR, W1FKF, VE2XX, W1AIM, and WB2SIH. Somehow I missed many who are in the NYC area including N2SLO, K2RMX, WA2LTM, and WA1PBU in Massachusetts. I guess I didn't tune around enough! I did try some meteor scatter with W5EME at 1460 miles. AJ6T listened in from TN.  We each heard a ping but got no decodes that made any sense. We used MSK144. Such results on a long path seem almost impossible to anyone brought up on CW or SSB meteor skeds. In the past, I would have never bothered with a 1460 mile path. With the new digi MS modes, such things are possible. Of course, 9 PM local time is an awful time for meteors!

I did listen in on a WB2SIH-WA3EOQ sked around 01:30 and heard WA3EOQ again with very weak but rather steady signals. It reminded me that longer hauls are not as subject to QSB fades as shorter paths during stable weather patterns (i.e. no storms nearby)

I will be away next Tuesday, but hope to be back for June 7th. I hope to have my new preamp box up and running shortly thereafter! It sure was an enjoyable time to be on 222 MHz. Thanks to all who made noise and helped the activity!!

73

Dave K1WHS