[VHFcontesting] 222 Activity Night wrapup.

To: "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 222 Activity Night wrapup.
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2022 11:50:36 -0400
There is just not enough time in the day to accomplish everything.  I got on early last night, and, as typical, my first contact was W1XR in FM19 on SSB  I am not sure, but the distance must be 400+ miles.  Next contact was N1SFE mobile as he was driving to his hilltop in Connecticut. Signals were pretty good! It was immediately apparent that many stations are on all over the eastern US with activity in Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Louisiana, North Carolina, and Florida. That makes for some interesting sked possibilities, and I found myself running some impossibly long paths in hopes of picking up some elusive tropo.  The downside of this is that I missed a bunch of the locals again that WZ1V always manages to sweep up with regularity.

I did work W1XR, N1SFE/m, WZ1V (Good Buddy Ron), N1SFE again on his hilltop, WA3NUF on SSB, AF1T, N1YCQ, N3RG FM29, WA3EOQ FM09 @ 502 miles, N1SV, KR1ST in FN21 on SSB, KE1LI (very loud in FN41), K1PXE, N2JMH, W1AIM, and N1LHP. Somehow I missed the guys around NYC & Philly again: N2SLO, N1GJ on the Cape, WA2ONK, and WA2Lettuce Tomato, and Mayonaise. I also never heard W1FKF, my neighbor in nearby NH. I must have been too busy running impossible skeds! I got an e mail from Walt K3BPP. He is working on getting back on 222 MHz and has his receiver working. He copied my signals along with a few others in Maryland in FM18 last night. He hopes to be QRV very soon.  222 is his favorite band!

This was the first night and opportunity to try out my newly installed cavity preamp. I had installed the new tower box that afternoon. All was great. There was no RFI from Channel 11. I could aim the yagis at new York City and not see my noise floor go up about 10-15 dB. It was awesome (In the words of Chris Farley) Not having the overload problem made my life easier on 222.

AT about 0100 UT, I elevated the 222 antenna and managed to work NH6Y on EME in BL10 via the EME route. It was a test of the new preamp, so it seems like it passed the test!

Thanks to all who were on and making noise.

73

Dave K1WHS