[VHFcontesting] Tuesday 222 Activity Night

To: "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>, "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Tuesday 222 Activity Night
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2022 12:23:56 -0500
Hello fellow VHF devotees,

Tonight is the night for getting on 222 MHz.  I have been working at all sorts of "HAMster" projects and this note will be brief. KA6U promises to be on from Missouri tonight on EME. That means that there will be some EME activity as well on 222 this evening. His operating window is advertised as 23:30 to 03:00 UT. He will be on 23 CM first and then on 222 MHz closer to 03:00 UT.  With the Moon at a high declination, that means that the Moon will be waaay up in the sky when this all happens.  Here in Maine the Moon will be between 45 and 55 degrees between 02:00-03:00.  My tropo antenna doubles as an EME antenna and the guy wires tend to get in the way of the back end of the long yagis as they get elevated up high.  The highest I can go is 65 degrees in some directions, so I have to be careful with high declinations.

The weather has cooled off, but is sunny here, so there is no excuse to not get on this evening at least here in the northeast. The South land has been having some rain but tonight looks good in most of the country save for southern California.   Speaking of California, I got a report from Pete Heinz with the list of 222 ops who were active on Monday. K6TSK is the net control and there were check-ins from southern CA and Arizona.  There is also a hot spot of 222 activity in the Pacific NW too.

So 222.100 plus or minus and the action starts just before 23:00 UT typically.  I will be active and then elevate the antenna later on in hopes of helping with 222 EME activity and KA6U. NH6Y in Hawaii will be on when his Moon comes up. He told me that he is hearing 6 dB of Sun noise. That means he is hearing really well at his new rural location.

CU on 222 this evening.

Dave K1WHS