Re: [VHFcontesting] 222 activity nights

To: "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] 222 activity nights
From: Bill Olson <callbill@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2023 18:29:54 +0000
picture removed

________________________________
From: Bill Olson <callbill@hotmail.com>
Sent: Friday, April 21, 2023 6:28 PM
To: Chris Lumens <chris@lumensoutdoors.org>; vhfcontesting@contesting.com
<vhfcontesting@contesting.com>

Hi Chris, Not sure you have been reading all the mail (though there are several
email lists and I don't know what I have posted to what). I am in central
Maine, FN54JQ and in December a big storm took down my 110ft tower. At the top
of that was, for 220 anyway, a 16 element K1FO at, let's say, 120 ft. I would
easily work 300 400 miles with this set up. I am running a DEMI xverter and 300
watt hbru LDMOS amp. While I have been waiting for better weather to start
putting towers up again, I stuck my 222 rover Yagi (10 elements on an 8ft boom)
up on a mast at about 14 feet. Everything I could work on 222 is between SW and
West from here and in that direction I look into 70 foot trees and a ridge at
least 50 ft above me.

I get on the 222 activity nights when I can and was on the sprint Tuesday. I
can regularly work 300 miles on SSB on a dead band with this setup. CW or
digital extends the range.  I'll include a pic. The reflector will probably
strip it off the response to the group but you should get it. That's my 2
element 6M rover antenna above. Not fancy, Armstrong rotated, you'll get the
idea.

Point being, GET ON you will work people.

bill K1DY FN54JQ Maine