Re: [VHFcontesting] Reminder: ARRL Rule STTN.6

To: Scott Armstrong <aa5am.scott@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Reminder: ARRL Rule STTN.6
From: Paul Bourque <pbourque@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 18:09:24 -0500
The key word here is SHOULD.

"All equipment SHOULD be capable of communications at a range of at least 5
km." What we're essentially trying to prevent is having stations work each
other from across the parking lot using 500 mw exciters or radios connected
to dummy loads, and essentially fabricating contacts. If you happen to work
a close by station with radios that are capable of longer range
communications, have at it.

As was mentioned, we cannot determine actual distances from 4 digit grid
squares. Hence the word SHOULD. If you happen to make contact with a
neighboring station down the street who's also in the contest, or even make
a random contact with a station down the street, those would be valid.

73,
-Paul Bourque
ARRL Contest Program Manager.