[VHFcontesting] 222 MHz Night Activity Summary K1WHS

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 222 MHz Night Activity Summary K1WHS
From: Howard Reynolds <wa3eoq@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2024 11:22:43 -0400
Ref: N1BUG's comments. Virtually all of my Tuesday evening contacts are
>200 miles; some >300 miles.  There's really only a few stations around
here on 222 (or even 2m weak signal); none locally.  If K1WHS or WZ1V would
delete all stations within 200 miles on their weekly list, it would read
more like my 8 or so qsos.

Even though transverters are pretty much the only way to get on 222 weak
signal anymore, Dave's (K1WHS) efforts are getting more ops on that band.
It IS really the best kept secret in VHF.  Last June was the first time I
worked more stations on 222 than 432, so 222 capability and activity is
picking up.  I will have to agree that many past VHF/UHF ops have gone SK
or just aren't on anymore.  HOA antenna restrictions don't help, either
(Write your Senator and ask him/her to support S. 3690, The Amateur Radio
Preparedness Act).

I do hear very well with a preamp at the antenna and AMSL around 2750
feet.  Running a KW is just not in the cards here.  The preamp wouldn't
handle it and the other band's antennas, close spaced on the same mast
probably wouldn't like it, either.  I just need more ops to look this way.
ON4KST was the best thing that has happened to VHF weak signal since sliced
bread.  I had rarely worked K9MRI until 'KST came along and we got our
antennas aimed at each other; now it's easy-peasy anytime at ~350 miles.
(Donate a few bucks to 'KST when you can; we need to keep that site going!)

Enough rambling.  See everyone Tuesday evening.  WA3EOQ