[WriteLog] USB to Serial adaptors on WinXP Pro

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] USB to Serial adaptors on WinXP Pro
From: k4ik@subich.com (Joe Subich, K4IK)
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 12:50:22 -0500

You answered your own question below ... your USB to serial converters
appear to require more power than the laptop will provide on battery
power.

> Finally, the current draw appeared to be surprisingly high - 500
> mA, and the max draw also appears to be 500mA on each of my two root
> hubs. I presume that this means if I want to run 2 to 4 units I'd have
> to hook them up to externally powered hubs??

I would certainly look for an externally powered hub.  There are several
sources.  You would not be able to run without AC but it would allow
you to use/power up to four (on most hubs) converters for serial devices
if needed.

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK