[WriteLog] A. VOLTA RTTY Module problems

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] A. VOLTA RTTY Module problems
From: aa5au@bellsouth.net (Don Hill AA5AU)
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 16:53:42 -0500
I've pre-tested the module for the upcoming A. VOLTA
RTTY DX Contest and found a few problems.

This module works fairly well and better than some of
the other SM6SRW modules.  However, there are a couple
of situations where if you click on something in the RTTYrite
window and that particular field is already populated, it
will overwrite the callsign and not the field you are trying to
re-populate.

I've documented the problems with a page on the AA5AU
WriteLog website with screen shots showing what will happen.

http://www.geocities.com/writelog

The link is called "A. VOLTA Module Help".

Briefly, if you click on a callsign in the RTTYrite window,
it will be properly placed in the CALL field of the Entry Window.
The cursor then moves to the RST field and the ZN (zone) field
is automatically populated with the correct zone for the CALL.
The cursor then goes to the ZN field.  All this is normal and
works fine.  If you log the contact at this point, everything appears
to be OK.

However, if for some reason you need to edit either the  RCVD
(serial number) or ZN fields because they are incorrect, you must
do so manually using the keyboard.  Clicking on anything in
the RTTYrite window when the cursor is in either the RCVD
or ZN fields and those fields are already populated will result
in the callsign being overwritten by what you click on and the
RCVD (serial number) being wiped out.

One very good thing.  This module does not react like the ARI
module did.  If you have already worked a station on another
band, when you click on that station's callsign, the RCVD field
is not populated with the previous serial number.  Instead, the
RCVD field is left blank allowing you to click on the received
serial number in the RTTYrite field and have it properly populate
the RVCD field.

I tested this on my NT machine at work.  I'll retest it on my Win98
machine when I get home tonight.  If there is any change, I'll
post it here.

73, Don AA5AU
http://www.aa5au.com