[WriteLog] Possible Solutions to MMTTY Plug-in Installation Problems

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Possible Solutions to MMTTY Plug-in Installation Problems
From: aa5au@bellsouth.net (Don Hill AA5AU)
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 23:27:54 -0500
With permission, I've copied comments from Dean, N6DE, that were written
as part of his comments on the RTTY reflector following his Multi-Single
effort from W6YX in this past weekend's NAQP RTTY contest.

Dean's comments concerning problems the team had installing the MMTTY
plug-in for WriteLog and the solution that followed are of great interest to me.
In the past couple of weeks, I've seen an abundance of problems stated
concerning
the use of MMTTY with WriteLog and in particular, the installation of the
plug-in itself.

Dean's comments and installation troubleshooting guide offered by InstallShield,
may shed light on problems some of you are having installing the plug-in.

The MMTTY Plug-in for WriteLog uses the InstallShield Wizard to install
the plug-in.  InstallShield offers valuable information on "Initialization Error
Troubleshooting" at the URL Dean refers to below which may or may not offer
help to those having problems.  Here's what Dean had to say:

> While setting up a few days before the contest, we encountered a puzzling
> MMTTY
> plug-in installation problem.  Whenever we executed the plug-in setup file, we
> got the following message: "Setup failed to launch installation engine: no
> such
> interface supported."  It turns out that this error message is documented on
> the
> InstallShield web site, and there is a list of 14 possible items which can
> cause this problem:
> http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q104985
>
> Our problem was #9.  The computer was missing the stdole32.tlb file (it had a
> file named stdole32_o.tlb instead).  We copied this file from another
> Windows95
> machine, and suddenly the MMTTY plug-in installed without any further
> problems!
> Thanks to Steve W1SRD who pointed us in this direction, otherwise we would
> have
> never figured it out!

I'm not saying that using this guide will solve the problem some of you may be
having
with the plug-in, but if you are having trouble installing the plug-in, you may
want to check
this page out.  Toward the end, it does get into some procedures you may not
feel
comfortable with.  If you aren't comfortable doing some of these steps, then
don't.  You
can always re-install your operating system and it may fix the problems as well.

Perhaps others with better knowledge on the subject can offer more insight on
this
than I can.  But Dean, through Steve, W1SRD, has at least given us a place
to go to see if there's something we might have overlooked.  After going
through the
page, I now can understand why others could be having problems when others are
not.

I hope to learn more about this subject and place the information on my WriteLog
website in case others can use it in the future to correct problems they incur
while
installing the MMTTY Plug-in for WriteLog.  WriteLog also uses InstallShield
for installing and upgrading WriteLog.  I suppose these same guidelines could be
used for WriteLog installation problems, but I would suggest contacting Ron,
K5DJ,
first on those types of problems.  I hope I'm not stepping out of bounds by
putting
this information out like this, but it looks like valuable information to me.
It sure helped
Dean and the W6YX crew.  And congrats to them on an excellent effort in NAQP
RTTY
using WriteLog and the MMTTY Plug-in!

73, Don AA5AU
http://www.aa5au.com