[WriteLog] Win2K and voice keying

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Win2K and voice keying
From: wa9als@starband.net (WA9ALS - John)
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 06:14:16 -0500
> Or should I just forget the homebrewing and just go with a commercial
> solution?

Oh, don't do that!  You will get it going and later look back and be glad
you worked it out.

> Either I'm really dense or, or.....I don't know.  I'm trying to figure out
> how to do voice keying, but am restricted to a COM port, which means I
> can't do PTT.

I'm a little confused about your question though.  Obviously the audio
itself doesn't have anything to do with a COM port, so you have to be
talking about keying the radio, i.e. PTT.  You can do PTT keying easily from
a COM port, and thus I don't understand the question.

The basics:

1.  Audio - To a mic, patch, or other audio input to your rig, usually
recommended through and audio isolation transformer, usually reecommended
NOT via the mic connector (Life will be simpler if you use an ACC audio
input).

2.  PTT - Signal taken from the RTS port of the com port and going via a
transistor switch.  My first interface was a 2N2222 transistor and a 1K
resistor hanging out the back of a DB-9 com port connector!  There are many
sources of how to wire this, and many here will help if you need it.

Alternatively, if you have CAT control of the rig, you can do PTT via that
cablee and not need a com port at all!

Does this help or miss the point??  GL - 73  John, WA9ALS