[WriteLog] Writelog and W 98 operation

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Writelog and W 98 operation
From: jimsmith@shaw.ca (Jim Smith)
Date: Thu Aug 14 17:49:07 2003
Hi Dave,

1.  I too have a PIII 500 & Win 98.  I have used Logitech and MS mice on
the machine with no mouse problems.  I changed to a USB mouse to free up
a serial port and it's fine too (except when RF gets into it).  I do
recall in the past having mouse troubles on an older machine.  The
general consensus at the time was that, with some video cards, moving
the mouse too quickly or at the wrong time would cause it to freeze or
even (not sure of this) crash the computer.

2.  I have had the keyboard repeating letters.  It was my own fault.  I
knocked over a glass full of wine onto it.  My keyboard is the Salvador
Dali inspired MS ergonomic one.  Inside there are three layers of thin
but strong plastic sheet material.  When you press a key, it pushes a
copper trace (a la PC board) on the top sheet through a hole in the
middle sheet against another copper trace on the bottom sheet.  These
sheets are easily separable.  So, I separated them and cleaned them
thoroughly (distilled water would be a good idea if you live in a hard
water area).  Everything's FB now.

2.a.  In rereading your post I see that the keyboard works on other
machines.  If you press a key and hold it down for a while does it keep
repeating?  If so, somewhere (maybe in the BIOS setup) you can set how
long you have to hold down the key before it starts to repeat.  This
setting may be shorter on your PIII than on the other machines.  Try
making it longer.

Hope this helps

73 de Jim Smith    VE7FO