RE: [WriteLog] Plea from a Gee

To: <rcooke@g3ldi.freeserve.co.uk>,"Writelog Reflector" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [WriteLog] Plea from a Gee
From: "G3SJJ" <g3sjj@btinternet.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 21:04:06 -0000
Roger, perhaps I can answer your query. Most of the UK contests have a
relatively small entry both from the UK and Overseas compared with the
events that WL supports, which would make any work on customising Writelog
uneconomical. Furthermore there are several logging programs available and
usage is spread across entrants further diluting the number of WL users.
Typically in any one domestic contest you might get say 10 people using WL,
although it is on the increase.

I used NA for some 8 years prior to changing over to WL a year ago, in all
of the RSGB HF events and didn't find it very onerous. The most important
aspect in a contest is the realtime logging and in particular the exchange.
Most programs will allow you to modify the "info" field, ie district code
etc. The ability to see your realtime score is again relatively minor in
these events. Scoring after the event was a case of putting the file into
Excel and sorting to identify bonuses or whatever. Some events didn't even
need that, if say each QSO is worth 10 point then you just added a nought on
your summary sheet. With Cabrillo it is even easier, you don't have to
calculate a claimed score.

It was particular pleasing to see the IOTA Contest taken seriously by
contest logger writers. Our group GU8D used NA from our first attempt in
1996, even though it most definitely didn't support the contest for several
years. I was able to convince Dave K8CC to include it though, and now
Writelog supports it extremely well.

Thanks for the "inverted" QSO on Monday night! 73 Chris G3SJJ     (past
Chairman RSGB HF Contests Committee)