Re: [WriteLog] Making New contest modules

To: Writelog <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Making New contest modules
From: Eric Hilding <eric@hilding.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 23:58:12 -0700 (PDT)
On Sun, 20 Jun 2004, Chris Robson wrote:

> As I like to work as many state QSO parties as possible, as obscure as some
> of them are. I would like to be able to create programs for some of these
> small contest, but I am not a C++ programmer. Can something be developed
> that would be a macro to make contest modules easier. There is no way any
> contest program can be all things for all people, however I have run contest
> programs in the past (DOS days) that allowed for making special contests
> entries and  multipliers.  Maybe we have this capability and I am not aware
> of it.

There are RAD (Rapid Application Development) tools that *could*
potentially work for you, however most of the "alleged" point-and-click +
"No Programming Knowlege Required" packages are deceptive advertising ;-(

You make a BRILLIANT suggestion about "...something being developed..."
that could be Macro based, however, in the Words of Microsoft ("Where do
you want to go today?" ... the ideal would be:

1. SIMPLE, SIMPLE, SIMPLE text-only "configuration" GUI (Graphical User
Interface)

2. Clickable options (checkboxes, radio buttons, etc.) for ASSIGNING all
typical elements of a contest exchange, format, etc. to a New Module name
based upon pre-determined behaviours...which would be selectable options
as well.

3. Push the "Finish" button and via some behind-the-scenes whiz-bang
coding, out comes your module.

But it must be designed with an IDIOT in mind to use it, with
UNDERSTANDABLE, COMPLETE, WELL-INDEXED "Help" files.  This way, the
majority of people *will* be able to use it :-)

If it's designed with Tech/Programmer people as end-users, that never
seems to work well.

With some thought and planning, what you suggest *can* be done.

73...

Rick, K6VVA