Re: [WriteLog] K9JY website : An appreciation.

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] K9JY website : An appreciation.
From: "Barry " <w2up@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 16:05:07 -0500
On 3 Nov 2004 at 14:05, Bob Naumann wrote:

> Barry ZL1DD said:
>
> "I do, however, stand by my contention that it very unforgiving of
> operator error in the set up phase".
>
> I must concur with my friend from Waiheke Island.
>
> We run Writelog at AA5NT doing Multi-2 and it works great - once you
> get it all set up.  We do so, run a contest, and next contest, we have
> to go through it all again.  This is especially true when changing
> modes.
>
> The function key messages, the networking, the packet connections -
> they all work, but why isn't it automatic?  I know that the software
> can't be 100% install and play dependent upon your configuration.
> But, why not make it so that I can start it up for multi-2 SSB
> operation, and have everything necessary start up based on what I did
> the last time?
>
> Changing from SSB, to CW, to RTTY, and back to SSB is a lot of work.
>
> Also, re-starting a log, on the odd chance that a computer needs to be
> re-booted is too complex.  Registering to accept network connections,
> etc.  Why not automatically do this?
>
> 73,
> N5NJ

I agree with Bob.

After the SSB test, I set up for CQWW CW.  It wasn't totally from
scratch as I copied my Window layout and message buffers from last
year's contest log, but still required a bit of work.

After setting up CW, I then decided that I'd operate the WAE RTTY
this year.  My heart started pounding in fear, as I realized once set
up for that and doing a Save Configuration (how come this is
necessary in the first place?  It should be part of the log file
setup) my CW setup would be out the window (no pun intended).

If all the pre-contest setup parameters can't be set up in one file
(i.e., the .wl file for that contest), how about a selection box to
choose one of several writelog.ini-like files?  When choosing a new
contest, a list of contests is presented.  The next step could be
choosing from a list of ini files.  I anticipate at least 3, one for
each mode.
73,
Barry (the other one), W2UP