RE: [WriteLog] keyboard focus

To: <ke1fo@arrl.net>, <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [WriteLog] keyboard focus
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 23:34:09 -0500
It was a deliberate change, and a good one. It makes a lot more sense to
have the audio go with the keyboard focus, as that is where you enter what
you hear. Previously, we had to use the "Toggle Headphones" kludge to
quickly get mono audio on the S&P radio, which usually led to great
confusion about the audio state (er.. I originally endorsed that approach,
but was mistaken.)

The typical SO2R case is when you are CQing on one radio and doing S&P on
the other. You split the xmit and keyboard focus, and split the audio (one
radio per ear.) When the audio is split, the focus has no effect on the
audio. If someone answers your CQ or you find someone to work on S&P,
usually the best approach is to keep the audio split -- it's more efficient.
But often a weak station or band conditions will force you to go mono. If
you do this with the focus split, the audio will go to the S&P radio, which
has the keyboard focus. This makes sense because this is where you need both
audio and keyboard to fill in what you copy from the S&P station. Of course,
if someone has answered your CQ, you would end up listening to the wrong
radio. But (and this is the important part) since you have to move the
keyboard focus back to the run radio to fill in the entry for the calling
station, all you have to do is move the focus back and go mono -- in that
order. If you used WL when audio followed the xmit focus you will have to
practice a bit to get the hang of it. But you will quickly find that fewer
keystokes and audio confusion result.

In practice, I find the vast majority of cases where I want to quickly go
mono are when the S&P station is hard to hear. Certainly, it often happens
that a responder to my CQ is hard to hear, too, but as soon as someone
responds to my CQ I automatically move the keyboard focus back to the run
radio. So, when I go mono I'm on the right radio.

Anyway, if you can't stand how it works now, here's the ini file excerpt:

If your preference is to keep the headphones unchanged on SHIFT+UP/DOWN
rather than have the headphones follow the keyboard focus, then set this
entry to zero.

MoveHeadphonesWithFocus=0

73, Dick WC1M