Re: [WriteLog] Writelog, microHAM DigiKeyer,Icom Pro III RTTY problem

To: "'Larry M. Leitch'" <LMLeitch@comcast.net>,"'REFLECTOR writelog'" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Writelog, microHAM DigiKeyer,Icom Pro III RTTY problem
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 17:14:33 -0400
WriteLog AFSK and microHAM DigiKeyer work fine as long as you
select the proper "sound card" (USB Audio Codec).  WriteLog
FSK will not work with any microHAM product ... you must use
the MMTTY plug-in to enable FSK.

There are two FSK incompatibilities depending on product:

1) The USB II uses the TxD pin of the USB UART for radio control
   so it is not available for WriteLog's "software FSK" which is
   limited to the TxD pin.

2) microKEYER and DigiKeyer include UARTs in their microcontroller
   but the virtual serial ports transmit data to buffers in the
   microKEYER or DigiKeyer faster than it can be transmitted.
   Writelog and other software that relies on the serial driver
   to tell it when the buffer is clear so it can send the next
   character or drop PTT will drop PTT too soon.

   MMTTY and similar software use an internal timer that sends
   one character every 165 milliseconds (22 x 7.5 approximately)
   to overcome the buffer timing problems with USB.  Data pacing
   is enabled with the "USB Port" options in the MMTY Setup |
   Misc tab.  Option C (Limiting Speed) appears to be the most
   effective.

73,

   ... Joe Subich, W4TV
       microHAM America