[Yaesu] *NEW* FT-920 Review

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] *NEW* FT-920 Review
From: ke7gh@primenet.com (Brian K. Short)
Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 16:34:21 +0100
A 50MHz report for Yaesu UK Ltd:

                           THE NEW FT920!

Here is Yaesu's new Baby! The FT920, sister to the famous FT1000MP, its built
like a tank, and performs superbly with the AF DSP.

Where do we start with a new Radio? we have to look at what is offered in
terms of new Technology! The Yaesu FT920 is new "HAT", a new radio, new
techniques!

Mr Barry Cooper of Yaesu UK Ltd asked me to "give it the works" on 50MHz. So
here are a few of my findings!

OPERATIONAL FEATURES!
I must say that on unpacking the Radio I was amazed at it's size, it's about
the same size as an FT1000MP and "really" feels like a radio. It operates on DC
not Mains AC. so you need a 20amp PSU.

Some months ago I had sold my trusty FT990 and had regretted doing so, however,
the FT920 has put the smile back on my face!
The front panel layout is well thought out with a dual bandstacking keyboard
available, twin VFO contols grace the front panel, but note! these are for
split and memory operations and not FULL "twin receivers".

                                  DSP Unit!

(My comments on this have been noted to Yaesu UK Ltd and also to Icom UK Ltd,
on their IC 756, dedicated 50MHz users, and there's THOUSANDS of us, require a
radio that has two receivers so 28MHz AND 50MHz can be monitored at the same
time, I hope one day manufacturers will come up with such a radio!)

I won't go into the HF side too much as I was asked for a 50MHz opinion.
IT DOES NOT DO DUAL RECEIVE! but does dual watch, ie ONE receiver!
Dual watch is fitted and the time delay can be varied, this is quite useful, as
instead of scanning memories for say 28.885 and monitoring 50.150 etc, both
vfo's can be programmed and "flipped" between 3 to 15 seconds. The time delay
is set via a menu, yes! the FT920 has the new technology menu system like other
radios, a menu system that usually contains sub menu's and further sub/sub
menu's.(sometimes known as a pain!)

Not so with the FT920 though, it has only ONE menu that controls ALL functions
of the radio, 73 in all! that's a nice feature. I, like many, cannot remember
all the sub/sub menu settings, and so just one menu is a much better idea.

The FT920 supports all modes, however I was surprised to see that the FM unit
is optional. (see my comments later on the price structure).
Despite the rumours that the Digital Voice recorder is optional the news is
that it is a standard feature (and that's worth 200 UKP) and boasts 2 "8"
second memories, and 2 "4" second memories, (it says in the manual 16 seconds
each!), Also the DVR can be left running in the receive condition, when put
into the play condition it will play the last 16 seconds of recorded receive
audio, this is the same as the DVS2 that was an option with the FT650 and
FT990/FT1000 radio's, the CW memory keyer is also standard and also boasts 6
memories, four 50 character and two 20 character. Both the voice recorder
and CW keyer are controlled by one set of switches, a PLAY and a RECORD. (ie
PLAY 1/2/3/4) The CW Memory keyer is a "paddle/key" input device, the same as
a "Super Keyer"(reg TM) This is much better to input data rather than using a
keypad like the IC756. Weights and ratios can again be adjusted via the on
screen menu.

The receiver front end has a Jfet and a Mosfet device, these can be swapped
through the menu system if required, so that the Jfet device can be used at
50MHz instead of it's allocated bands of 160mtrs to 12mtrs and increasing
dynamic range and less sensitivity. The 28/50MHz section incorporates the
Mosfet RF stage. (lower noise figure) Three levels of attenuation are included
of 6, 12 and 18db.

THE NOISE BLANKER!
The noise blanker in this radio does actually work, it is also adjustable,
however, there is a problem in this area especially noticed on HF.
Switching on the noise blanker with the audio gain turned off strange burbbles
and whistles can be heard very weakly in the loudspeaker, using headphones
really shows this up, there seems to be some kind of leakage/breakthrough of
frequencies above and below the dial readout frequency. This is NOT the usual
Noise blanker overload problem and it was noted on ALL HF bands.
Removing the antenna cures the problem, and note DSP was not turned on. It is
very weak but annoying, and maybe also due to the fact that my FT920 was one of
the first radio's out. There is no sign of this problem on 50MHz.

DSP/NOTCH FILTERING/NOISE REDUCTION:
I was impressed here! wow! The Auto Notch filter is superb, I noted a station
on 50.125 and had a computer birdy on top of the station at S5, hitting the
auto notch REMOVED the computer junk and left a crisp clean signal. I could not
believe the effect it had, but it is true! BTW don't try using the auto notch
on CW otherwise the station will disappear! DSP high/low cut was also very
effective in producing stations out of the noise, something we all dream of.
The DSP operates at 33MIPS and is Audio DSP.

I have limited circuit information on the DSP section and note that it is built
around a 120 pin LSI, I just hope that this IC never blows as that would be a
major job to replace!

The noise reduction system seems to be much better than the IC756 that I tried,
on the Icom a type of
"phasing" noise was noticed on the receiver, this was not so on the FT920.

TRANSVERTERS?
The radio does not offer any dedicated transverter ports, (ie any low level
TX), but! it offers something quite unique! If the TX LED is pushed it goes
into a low power mode offering a maximum of 10 watts which can be reduced with
the power control to Zero! Another way of lowering the output for transverting
is to initiate the power level settings in the menu, the levels at antenna
ports can be adjusted to output 10, 50 or 100w, ensuring safety for your
transverter. FM scanning steps can be adjusted from 0 to 100kHz. There's also
repeater shift for the VHF bods!

MEMORIES!
The radio has 99 standard memories plus 5 "Quick" memories, and 10 split
memories and a call memory for each band. Seven characters can be added to name
each memory.

LINEAR TUNER!
This is a first from Yaesu! a "Linear Amplifier Tuning Device". Hit the "ENT"
key when in menu #52 and the FT920 emits a tuning pulsed signal, this pulse can
be adjusted in frequency and timing upto 60 seconds. Very useful!

VOX OPERATION:
The radio has vox, however, there is no indication to let you know that vox is
selected! An LED needs fitting or the display should indicate this!!!!!!

PRICE STRUCTURE:
My personal point of view is that this radio is under priced compared with
other radio's of it's class, it is not an "added to FT1000MP" it is a dedicated
made machine offering superb craftsmanship and technology!

OPRATIONAL ON AIR TESTS:
The tailormade voice facilities that are offered (DSP audio tx).
There are 4 levels of TX DSP, some are broadcast quality and some are punchy
contest quality, it depends on your voice characteristics which will suite you.
You can monitor the audio DSP via the radios own "MONI" function and
headphones. I have worked 36 Countries on both CW and SSB on 50MHz with very
good reports during the past week, including Country #158 SU1ER, others
included JY9QJ, OD5SB and 4X1IF which are all over the 3500kms distance.
Nobody had any adverse comments on the signal (apart from my voice
characteristics!). The receiver handles well, local signals in GJ were loud
clean and narrow, however, local stations only run a max of 100 watts but
considering GJ is only 45 square miles signals were endstopping with no
intermod problems noticed.  Several stations in Europe were excessivly "wide",
and I'm sure that was their non linearity at their end!

On 7MHz the receiver showed no major intermod problems and copied JT at S5 when
other G's were giving 5/1 reports, the antenna used was a 120ft long wire
sloper poised at 100ft. The antenna tuner works on Rx as well as TX although
this has to be initiated via the on line menu and not as the instruction books
says (default). CTCSS is standard so you can access your local repeater. (fit
the FM board first!). VHF repeater shift is included and adjustable up to 5MHz
through the menu.

Different power levels can be set at the two antenna ports by the menu.
Vox is included and also is a speech processor which worked quite well in our
tests on the air. Scanning speed was good with adjustable time from 1 to 100ms
per step.

FREQUENCY COVERAGE:
The 50MHz section covers 48 to 54MHz, I'm currently in touch with Yaesu to see
if this can be expanded to 30 to 54MHz, I feel sure it can as the IF is 68MHz.

CONCLUSIONS!
This radio is undoubtably the best 50MHz radio I have ever operated, it will
take pride place in my shack and the FT736 and FT650 will now be used as backup
radios! Yaesu have certainly produced a radio that is a delight to operate.
The instruction book has many errors but these have reported to Yaesu, that and
the noise blanker problem are THE ONLY faults I could find so far :-)

Yaesu UK Ltd Price £1699.00. Ex Taxes ONLY £1250.00 plus carriage!
FM Unit £49.00 inc VAT 13.8 Volt ONLY. No mains Version available.
Mosfet PA finals. Quick Memory Banks Built in RS232 level converter....and lots
more!

Geoff GJ4ICD 50MHz DXCC #33. 158 Countries on the Band!