[Yaesu] FT8100R Receiver Stage going?

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT8100R Receiver Stage going?
From: dgmaley@inav.net (Dave Maley)
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 14:30:22 +0000
Yaesu seems to be having trouble properly mounting the RF blocks
on the heat sinks.  I think the small heatsink and fan combo would
work if a proper bond is made.  There just not much room for error
in modern radios.  The FT 5100/5200 uses a SAV-24 for the VHF PA.
It's quite expensive from Yaesu.  RF Parts has an SAV-18 with the
same ratings, but about 2db less gain.  Cost was about one half.  I'm
getting 40-45 watts out.  Make sure there is absolutely no
contamination or tarnish on either surface before carefully applying
a very thin layer of high-quality heat-sink compound to both surfaces.  Then
make sure the mounts are properly torqued.  RF Parts will provide
specs.  It looks like some shops get a little sloppy here.  Good
Luck.  Dave   WA0ZZG
AR