[Yaesu] FT1000MP Transverter o/p

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT1000MP Transverter o/p
From: k3mm@erols.com (Tyler Stewart)
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 21:36:21 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: Ian <ianafh@globalnet.co.uk>
To: yaesu@contesting.com <yaesu@contesting.com>
To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Date: Wednesday, July 01, 1998 21:40

>I have been looking at the FT1000MP for driving VHF & UHF transverters.
>Before I buy one I want to be sure that the low level transverter output is
>clean.
>
>Using a spectrum analyser at my local dealer revealed a number of spurious
>outputs either side of the carrier on 10M at a level of about -50dB. The
>state of calibration of the analyser used is unknown. The FT1000MP measured
>had just been rapaired.

Interesting.  You sure this wasnt a two-tone IMD test but a spurious test?  I
can check mine easily and I'll let you k now what I find.

>Does anyone have any experience, good or bad, using the FT1000MP
>transverter o/p ?

It's great!  I've been using it with a DEM 2 meter transverter driving a brick
into a K1FO KW  for about 2 years now and have had no complaints about my
signal other than guys trying to run FT736's and the like against my +60db
signal.

The only downside to the MP is in regard to TX drive.  First the max output
without modification is about -7 db.  Not a problem with the DEM if you have
the TX preamp option.  The other thing is that power output is a bit difficult
to control as the RF PWR control has a very narrow range of adjustment and it
also seems to wander around a bit.
For this reason it's very important to monitor your power at all times to make
sure you dont overdrive something down the line.

The RX is great, of course, being a top drawer HF receiver.

>Can anyone with a FT1000MP and access to a spectrum analyser check to see
>how clean the output is on 10M.

I'll try and do that in the next couple days...

>Can the level of the transverter o/p be controlled with ALC ? (the rf drive
>control has no effect).

The MP doesnt have a drive control, but the RF PWR control does control power
out of the TRV jack.  It's pretty jumpy, but usable.

73, Ty K3MM