[Yaesu] FT990 keying question

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT990 keying question
From: fanning@hiwaay.net (Mike & Alicia Fanning)
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 20:49:00 -0500
First of all, thanks for all the replies I received for my first posting on
the FT990.  Several little quirks that I had with the rig turned out to be
operator error - thanks to everyone for helping to straighten me out.

Got a new question.  I have noticed that the internal keyer has problems
being "choppy" (for lack of a better word) in QSK mode.  The best way to
illustrate the problem is to set the speed to about 12 o'clock position
(25-30 wpm?) and lay into it with a string of dits.  About every dozen or
so dits, one will be chopped.  The problem goes away when disable QSK and
run in VOX mode.  No difference with or without the ALC relay.  This is
just a good way to demonstrate the problem.  It is noticeable in ordinary
use during QSOs as well (which is how I first noticed the problem -
couldn't seem to get in the rythm of using the keyer).  I saw a thread
along these lines in the August 96 archives, but didn't see any responses
to fix the problem I am seeing - it is not chopping the leading dit, but
random dits here and there.

Anybody else see / saw this one?  I called Yaesu, and they said there are
about 6 bulletins out on the '91 vintage 990s (which is what I appear to
have), but keying characteristics wasn't one of them.  Anyone with newer
990s notice this?

Thanks again for the help.

73,
-Mike, K4GU