[Yaesu] FT-920 ?

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT-920 ?
From: baycock@HIWAAY.NET (Bill Aycock)
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 1999 08:34:38 -0600
Dave- I just finished a set of measurements, and am putting them, and our
earlier posts, to the list- It may be of interest to others.

I hooked up to an MFJ "paint can" dummy load, and made measurements of
apparent power out, both with the tuner, and without. I used the power out
scale on the FT-920, for simplicity. (This is an LED scale, with a
discrimination of 5 watts) I thought this would be adequate, since you
reported a much larger shift in power.  At each frequency, I measured the
power without the tuner, then keyed in the tuner to let it do its seeking,
then read the power out at key down- (I used CW mode) . I moved from 28.7
down to 28.2, at each .2 MHz, then (see below) did the same from 28.5 to
28.55, by .01 MHz.

I had intended to put in a table, but the readings  do not warrant it.
Briefly, I read 80 watts at all frequencies, without the tuner, and either
90 or 85 watts with the tuner. The break between 90 and 85 watts came at
about 28.525 MHz. I repeated the test, going up in frequency, after the
initial set, which was going down in frequency. The results were the same.

In short- I do not see a drop in power across the 10M band, and I see a
higher power out (apparent) with the tuner, than without. There is an
apparent shift in power out at about 28.525 MHz, with the tuner, but no
shift without the tuner. I hope this helps you pin down the problem.

Bill- W4BSG

At 09:40 PM 11/30/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>Thanks Bill..It is very noticeible on mine. Dave

-
Bill Aycock   ---   Persimmon Hill
 Woodville, Alabama, US 35776
 (in the N.E. corner of the State)