[Yaesu] Opinions wanted, FT1000D & FT1000MP

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] Opinions wanted, FT1000D & FT1000MP
From: fanning@hiwaay.net (Mike and Alicia Fanning)
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 11:58:04 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0021_01C0101E.0ED55860

I am currently using an FT990 which I really like except for the rig's =
QSK.  It is just plain stinko.  Everybody whose opinion I solicited =
before I bought the radio loved the radio, but I didn't ask folks about =
full break-in, thinking that if there were any problems with it, someone =
would tell me.  Turns out that it looks like I am about the only person =
in the world that likes using QSK all the time!  Most folks I =
corresponded with after buying the rig said something to the effect of, =
"Gosh, I HATE QSK and never use it."  I have borrowed a friend's late =
model 990, and it exibits the same problem.  Anyway, I am looking to =
replace the 990 with possibly a used FT1000D or FT1000MP.  I have used =
an MP at FD and find it to be "complicated".  The QSK is okay, but I =
have noticed that the receive AGC seems to be swamped out in between =
dits, so you really don't get to listen to anything in between =
characters.  I have not used a 1000D much to speak of.  Can anybody tell =
me about either of these radios' QSK performance?

One feature I like about the MP is the ability to pick and choose how =
the filters are cascaded.  I can't tell from looking at the 1000D front =
panel how to do this on the 1000D.  It looks like you get whatever =
combination Yaesu picks when you punch one of the four bandwidth buttons =
on the front panel.  What if you want to pick 500 Hz in one IF and 250 =
Hz in the other?  Is this possible without having to pull the case off =
the 1000D?

Has anybody used the MP and the 1000D side by side?  What kind of =
opinions in general do people have who have used both rigs?

Finally, has anybody used a Kenwood TS850?  That is another rig I have =
been thinking about as a replacement for the 990.

Thanks for any opinions that you might have.

73,
-Mike Fanning, K4GU

------=_NextPart_000_0021_01C0101E.0ED55860

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I am currently using an FT990 which I =
really like=20
except for the rig's QSK.&nbsp; It is just plain stinko.&nbsp; Everybody =
whose=20
opinion I solicited before I bought the radio loved the radio, but I =
didn't ask=20
folks about full break-in, thinking that if there were any problems with =
it,=20
someone would tell me.&nbsp; Turns out that it looks like I am about the =
only=20
person in the world that likes using QSK all the time!&nbsp; Most folks =
I=20
corresponded with after buying the rig said something to the effect of, =
"Gosh, I=20
HATE QSK and never use it."&nbsp; I have borrowed a friend's late model =
990, and=20
it exibits the same problem.&nbsp; Anyway, I am looking to replace the =
990 with=20
possibly a used FT1000D or FT1000MP.&nbsp; I have used an MP at FD and =
find it=20
to be "complicated".&nbsp; The QSK is okay, but I have noticed that the =
receive=20
AGC seems to be swamped out in between dits, so you really don't get to =
listen=20
to anything in between characters.&nbsp; I have not used a 1000D much to =
speak=20
of.&nbsp; Can anybody tell me about either of these radios' QSK=20
performance?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>One feature I like about the MP is the =
ability to=20
pick and choose how the filters are cascaded.&nbsp; I can't tell from =
looking at=20
the 1000D front panel how to do this on the 1000D.&nbsp; It looks like =
you get=20
whatever combination Yaesu picks when you punch one of the four =
bandwidth=20
buttons on the front panel.&nbsp; What if you want to pick 500 Hz in one =
IF and=20
250 Hz in the other?&nbsp; Is this possible without having to pull the =
case off=20
the 1000D?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Has anybody used the MP and the 1000D =
side by=20
side?&nbsp; What kind of opinions in general do people have who have =
used both=20
rigs?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Finally, has anybody used a Kenwood =
TS850?&nbsp;=20
That is another rig I have been thinking about as a replacement for the=20
990.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks for any opinions that you might=20
have.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>73,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-Mike Fanning, =
K4GU</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0021_01C0101E.0ED55860--

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/FAQ/yaesu