[Yaesu] FT1000 Tuning Knob

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT1000 Tuning Knob
From: 4x4nj@iname.com (R. Kline)
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 04:46:17 -0000
Hi Barry,
I wrote a note to this reflector regarding eliminating undesirable
"self-motion" tuning of the main tuning knob (after stopping  turning
the knob - it would move in the reverse direction) .  I think the
adjustment procedure for the knob is quite evident after you remove it
and see the mechanism.  I will describe what I believe to be the
answer to your question.  However,  please consider this to be my
personal opinion and not one of someone experienced in this matter.

Remove the plastic skirt - it slips off.  Then loosen the set screw
with an Allen wrench.  Remove the knob from the shaft.  You will see a
spiral spring that pulls  a small plastic disk  in towards the radio
(that disk is evidently what causes the friction).  By using ONLY your
fingers, carefully rotate the spring counterclockwise and you will be
able to remove it.  Then push the disk up against the rest of the
mechanism with one hand while you replace the spring while rotating it
clockwise with your other hand.  The more you rotate it clockwise, the
greater will be the pressure of the small disk on the rest of the
mechanism, and the greater will be the force required to rotate the
knob.  Next put the knob back on, tighten the set screw, and replace
the plastic skirt.

If you try this procedure, or any other procedure, please let me know
how it works out for you.
73,
Riki, 4X4NJ