[Yaesu] FT-620B CW/AM Problems

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT-620B CW/AM Problems
From: kb0nly@svtv.com (KBØNLY)
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 18:56:04 -0600
This is my first time posting so I hope it works!!

I have a FT-620B that has a curious problem, when=20
I bought it half a year ago all the modes worked.  AM,
CW,USB,LSB, this rig does not have FM.  Now the=20
other day I decided to once again try it on CW but neither=20
CW or AM seem to work any more.  On CW with key=20
down I hear the relay click to transmit and I hear the sidetone=20
but the meter isn't showing any power out on the radio,=20
I also don't see any power out on a wattmeter.  However=20
you can hear the relay click over to transmit and the receiver=20
quiets.  On AM for this radio you are supposed to set the=20
AM CARRIER control to the desired power out by the=20
meter, I also no longer see any power out by the radios=20
meter or by the wattmeter.  On USB and LSB however=20
the radio works beautifully and I use it nearly everyday to=20
chat with the locals.

I suspected the relay at first, but since it was working on=20
CW about 5-6 months ago and so was the AM and now=20
suddenly it doesn't leads me to believe that something went=20
dead in the radio.  Is the AM and CW closely related in=20
this radio that they would both be affected if one component=20
gave up?  On AM when you push the PTT on the mic you=20
can hear the relay click, but you can also hear a loud pop=20
from the speaker when doing so.  On CW you hear the relay=20
click on and hear the sidetone while sending then of course=20
you hear the relay click off.

I can't find any mention of Yaesu ever publishing a service/maintenance=20
manual for this radio, seems odd to me since the 101B I used to=20
have had one, and the FT-221 that I recently resurrected from the=20
dead had one that was easy to obtain.

So, does anyone have any suggestions?  Is there any other=20
FT-620B owners out there or someone who knows what's=20
wrong?  Is there indeed a service manual for this radio, that=20
would be of significant help also.  You can email me at:

kb0nly@arrl.net

And check out my Web Page!  www.qsl.net/kb0nly

Thanks in Advance and 73,

Scott,  KB0NLY