[Yaesu] FT-747GX Linear Amp Hook Up Problem

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT-747GX Linear Amp Hook Up Problem
From: kn4lf@tampabay.rr.com (Thomas Giella)
Date: Sun May 18 14:13:57 2003
 Recently I purchased an old Yaesu FT-747GX made in January 1991 for mobile
use. For the past two days I've been trying to make my LA-1000A linear
amplifier work with the FT-747GX but to no avail. The operations manual says
output from transistor to pin #6 and pin 2 ground of the FT-747GX female band
data plug should key a linear amplifier relay. I'm sending output of pin #6 to
the center pin of the LA-1000A RCA female relay jack input and pin #2 to the
ground of the RCA female relay jack input.
 I've also come to realize that a regular 8 pin DIN plug also does not fit the
FT-747GX band data female plug but does on an FT-990. Also on an 8 pin DIN plug
center pin is numbered 8 but the FT-747 seems to show the center pin as #6 but
no matter. I tried center pin #8 as a pin #6 and real pin #6 but no luck. I
checked all involved transistors and diodes involved in the area of the jack
and all is okay.
 As I'm half blind in one eye and deaf in the other:<) plus do not have a
schematic I might be overlooking something.
I wonder if the FT-747GX requires that silly little relay box that Yaesu sells?
I did not have this problem with my FT-990 and LA-1000A.
 Any input would be much appreciated.

73,
Thomas Giella , KN4LF
EL87WX
Plant City, FL USA

Florida Space & Atmospheric Weather Institute:
http://www.kn4lf.com/fsawi.htm

Friend Website Design Studio:
http://www.kn4lf.com

---