[Yaesu] Don't make the same stupid mistake

To: <Yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] Don't make the same stupid mistake
From: "Ron Samchuk" <samvideo@escape.ca>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 12:43:57 -0600
    Boy am I stupid... and I admit it.  Here's a little story to make you
chuckle and perhaps say "I've been there, done that"
    Just the other day, I couldn't figure out why my FT1000mp seemed basically
dead on receive from about 0 to 3 mhz (including the broadcast band and 160
meters).  I was receiving on 80 meters, but the signals seemed weak.  I wasn't
feeling too good about the situation I and was already thinking about the
dilemma of repairs, etc.  I checked to see if the antenna had fallen and I even
tried resetting the operating parameters of the 1000mp but no change; the low
frequencies were not coming through at all.  Of course my wife made a brilliant
comment like "you probably have a switch in the wrong position", (but of course
XYL's just don't understand radio equipment.. hi hi)
    The story has a happy ending when I discovered that the external antenna
tuner was in line and I had peaked up the system for 20 meters which meant of
course that the lower frequencies were basically 'tuned out'.  I usually have
the antenna tuner in the bypass position for listening and checking out a wide
range of frequencies, but I forgot that it was in line peaked for 14 mhz.
Maybe I'm getting old and forgetting things... anyhow, before taking any
drastic measures, remember to check that antenna tuner.  Regards from Ron VE4SR