Re: [Yaesu] Mark V w/Linear Amp Problems

To: "James C. Hall, MD" <nwtcc@earthlink.net>,<jlopez@plasticosomega.com>
Subject: Re: [Yaesu] Mark V w/Linear Amp Problems
From: "Mike Schatzberg" <cherokeehillfarm@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 19:36:52 -0500
Hello Javier:

I would assume that the input impedance of the amplifier is not properly
matched by the automatic antenna tuner of the Mark V.

With the Mark V in the CW, and the amplifier on and with the antenna tuner
off, transmit a series of dits, at low input power, say about 20 watts, at
about 30 wpm.  While sending the dits, push and hold the antenna tuner
button in, and allow the Mark V tuner to attempt to match the input
impedance of the linear.  I personally prefer this manner of adjustment,
rather than the Yaesu method in the manual.  You should see the Mark V tuner
attempt to make the adjustment.

It should easily retune itself to a 1:1 state.  You should be able to see
this in CW mode, while monitoring the SWR meter in the Mark V.  If it does
not accomplish a 1:1 match, reset the Mark V memories, and try again.  If
the tuner is starting too far outside of the impedance match for the
amplifier, the tuner may not be able to tune down to 1:1, and you need to
perform the reset.

You should be able to use the tuner to match both your antenna, your
amplifier, and also match into the bypass position of your amplifier when
not in use.  Each of these three conditions requires different capacitance
settings to handle the different reactance of each operating condition.  I
have added some additional capacitance to my amplifier bypass circuitry, to
provide lower SWR at higher frequencies, like on 10 meters.

If a memory reset does not solve the match problem, you have another issue
at play.

Good Luck and Happy DXing,

Mike
WB2AJI