Re: [Yaesu] MK V PTT Spike

To: <w2pky@optonline.net>, <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Yaesu] MK V PTT Spike
From: "Mike Schatzberg" <cherokeehillfarm@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 16:53:25 -0400
Hello Bill:

This is an interesting quirk of the Mark V.  I have tried to adjust the
processor gain carefully, to control the spike when running PTT.  I have
found that the noise level in the shack is also a factor here, meaning
blower noises particularly.  The AGC in the microphone preamp must ramp up
the gain when you first transmit, and then quickly ramps downward.

I have used a noise gate to cut off the input to the mic preamp, to help and
control the spike, which I need to use even with my MD 200 microphone.  I am
able to reduce the spike greatly, and the amplifier only outputs about 50
watts when I key up using PTT.

The spike is eliminated however, when I run VOX, and this is now my standard
method of working, and it works extremely well with gating.

I will shortly experiment with a downward expander before the mic preamp,
and see if this is an improvement over the noise gate.  Although I am
traveling now, and not at the shack, I will try this next week, and let you
know the results.

73 and Happy Dxing,

Mike Schatzberg
WB2AJI