Re: [Yaesu] Best $600 contest rig

To: Yaesu@mailman.qth.net, Yaesu Reflector <yaesu@contesting.com>,yaesu-radios@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Yaesu] Best $600 contest rig
From: kd4e <kd4e@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 17:09:30 -0400
>> From the Sherwood web site, the Noise Floor, BDR, Dynamic Range (wide)
>> and Dynamic Range (narrow):
>>
>> TS-180s: -139/115/70/68
>>
>> IC-720A: -137/138/93/78
>>
>> These numbers are consistent with the ARRL Lab results. Just look at the
>> BDR and wide Dynamic Range numbers. That's a huge difference under very
>> strong signal contest conditions!
>
> I always heard the 180S wasn't much more than a pedestrian radio, so I
> never looked much at one. It didn't look very sexy in the stores to me,
> either.
>
> Steve, K0XP
 >
 > I see the rigs are listed in decreasing order of narrow Dynamic
Range, > so you can run down the list far enough to find one that meets
your
 > price requirements and stop there...simple, eh? ;>)
 > Jack, NA7RF

Jack is correct!  The TS-180S was often of interest to
me as it is only $200. - $250., in good working order.

According to some eham reviews it is an excellent rig
with a very quiet receiver and other positive features.
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/403

I hope to have a Kenwood TS-180S, SBE 34, and Yaesu FT-897D
to operate and compare side by side (once I get the SBE and
Kenwood up to speed).

Should be interesting.

--

Thanks! & 73,