[Yaesu] PTT/VOX problem with FT-897

To: yaesu@contesting.com
Subject: [Yaesu] PTT/VOX problem with FT-897
From: Peter Sundberg <sm2cew@telia.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2010 08:28:38 -0100
My friend has developed a problem with his FT-897, I wonder if any of you
know what the issue might be.

Here's what is going on, based on what my friend has been telling me:

- All of a sudden while operating it is impossible to switch the radio to
transmit via the PTT button. VOX does not work either.

- Switching the radio from SSB to CW (BK-in = on) and hitting the CW key
will not put the radio in transmit either.

- The sidetone is heard while keying.

- After CW-keying for 10-15 seconds the radio all of a sudden switches to
transmit and then the PTT/VOX also works in SSB.

- After this the radio can run for hours without problems.

It is NOT a wiring issue with the microphone, it has something to do with
the RX/TX switching circuit.

Is this a known FT-897 problem? I have an FT-897 myself but I have never
seen this happen.

73 de Peter SM2CEW
www.sm2cew.com