Re: [Yaesu] . FT-1000 mystery signals? (Chris Hannagan

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Yaesu] . FT-1000 mystery signals? (Chris Hannagan
From: "Chris Hannagan" <zl2dx@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 08:26:51 +1300
Hi Dave,
Thanks for the comments.
Another station replied direct with a similar comment.

Quote------------------
I had the same problem with my MkV exactly 5 years ago after my tower was
struck by lightning.  I knew the thunderstorm was coming and took the proper
precautions (I thought!). I switched the rig to "dummy load" on my Bird
antenna switch, and disconnected all the rotor control cables from their
controls. This, however, was not enough. As I found out the hard way, the
FT1000 is unusually susceptible to lightning, even near misses.

What has happened, is that some diodes in the T/R circuitry have been
shorted by a nearby lightning strike. Even though mine was turned off at the
time and switched off and of the antenna(s), enough pulse came through on
the ground braid to do the damage. Never would have happened on an older
tube rig. I don't remember which diodes were damaged. I had mine repaired by
a guy in Nashville, TN who is very good with all iterations of the FT-1000,
but I guess that is not an option for you.

Nowadays, when I know a thunderstorm is predicted, I completely unhook
EVERYTHING from the radio and actually move it to a table across the room.
It's a real PITA, but only takes about one minute, and assures that it will
not be damaged.

I also found that switching the tuner in/out changed but did not eliminate
the "birdies".

End of quote---------------------

When this radio came to me it had a front end problem and appeared to have a
number of blown switching diodes in the front end of the receiver on the RF
unit.
I guessed that it had probably been in the proximity of a near miss from
lightning or similar discharge.
As I didn't then have a source of the 1SS83 didoes I used the 1N4007s but
the failures kept on and seemed to move past the previously replaced diode
to the next diode in the chain.
I probably did 4-5 replacements like this until it was obvious that the RX
gain was dropping and the problem was still evident.
Eventually I managed to get a number of 1SS83 diodes from Burghardt's before
they closed the doors and replaced all the diodes previous swapped for
1N4007s and that particular problem doesn't seem to have re-appeared unless
this is a different symptom of the same original issue.
There only seems to be a single GM-3B diode in the signal line on the LPF
board so I will put the radio on the bench again and check it out and report
back.

Thanks and 73,
Chris ZL2DX