Re: [Yaesu] Yaesu Digest, Vol 100, Issue 6

To: yaesu@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Yaesu] Yaesu Digest, Vol 100, Issue 6
From: K8RI <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 19:20:26 -0400
On 4/21/2011 6:15 PM, k2qmf@juno.com wrote:
> Ed,
> The CW from the current production runs of the FTdx-5000
> is very clean!  No short dit and no difference with internal or
> external keyers.  No key clicks.

I'm glad to hear they have that fixed. I use a tetrode amp and that
overshoot would make me ...unpopular.

> The only issue some people have is that you can't hear between
> the dits at high speed QSK CW operation!

I can't hear between dits even if the receiver could.

> You still can hear between CW letters at any speed and,for me that works
> just fine and the CW signal is very clean...

To me that has always been QSK. <:-))
I used to be about 99% CW but now days with arthritis and tinnitus it's
mostly SSB or relatively slow CW down around 20 wpm.  Something I don't
need the computer to copy.

It appears the latest issue 5000MPs are a better contesting/DXing rig
than the other one I'm looking at, but it's big, it's heavy, and does
not appear to be as flexible as the other rig.  That's not a deal
breaker though. OTOH  I would have to rebuild the hutch on top of my
desk as the MP version will not fit. I don't really care for the band
scope they have, but the other options of the MP (roofing filters and
high stability) are something I want.

Actually I run SO2R with stations in the house and shop (think I may
have said that) and what "I'd like" would be a 5000MP in the shop where
I do most of my operating and a 9100 in the house where I need the
flexibility.

73

Roger (K8RI)