[Yaesu] FT-8100R Back In Service Again ...

To: yaesu@contesting.com
Subject: [Yaesu] FT-8100R Back In Service Again ...
From: WD8ARZ <wd8arz@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 20:07:01 -0400
Now that I have been retired a couple of years, I have settled into using ham radio more than I did while working. While sorting stuff the other day, I came across my FT-8100R stored away in a box and forgotten about. At least I had stored everything with the radio. Mic, power cable, remote head cable kit, ADMS-2D FT-8100 v1097 Programming software and programming cable.

Note: The ADMS-2C is only for the FT-8500, FT-3000M and the FT-8000R radios. The 2D upgrade kit works for the FT-8100.

I do remember that long before storing the FT-8100R, I had done the modification / repair procedure to the control head to fix the volume control problem connections. In essence I remove the connector and soldered wires from the volume control to the pcb directly. That annoying problem fixed permanently.

Decided I wanted to put it in the mobile again, but wanted to re-learn using it before I did. So I have it set up in the house and have been reading the manual and testing it out again. Fortunately all is still work well. Had never used the remote head cabling kit, so figured I might as well install that so I could put the small control head of the FT-8100R on my dash with out the whole radio being there. Wouldnt you know it, all the screws Yaesu had put in that kit were the wrong size and would not fit! Unbelievable. Found at Lowes the 2.5mm machine screws I needed - Handi - Pack part# 87290. They were too long, but easy to cut down. Smoothed off the cut end after the cut, and they worked fine.

Had forgotten a lot of nice features in that radio. True dual bander, easy to use and oh yes, love the scan mode that lets you auto store in separate memories for that purpose, the frequencies in use in your area ... or any other area you visit. Just save in a new memory file whats in the rig before doing a fresh scan. Save memories for each area of interest and load em on when you want them. Sweet.

Even though I use Kenwood TM-D700AG dual bander with my other Kenwood gear for SkyCommand, I wanted a separate dual bander in the vehicle as a stand alone dual bander.

Now to find and dig out my Ft-50RD so I can mate those two Yaesu rigs back up again. There are some special features in those radios that work only with each other.... but I remember that I need a new control panel in the HT. Buttons got way to intermittent to use anymore. Wonder if those are still available ... time for me to do some research ... hi hi

73 from Bill - WD8ARZ
Traveling down the Yaesu memory lane ......
Gosh, need to fire up the FT-1000MP again one of these days :-]