Re: [Yaesu] ft-1000mp mod?

To: "'Yaesu reflector'" <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Yaesu] ft-1000mp mod?
From: "David Robbins" <k1ttt@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2017 14:19:19 -0000
As I pointed out, this tap location is not the same as the rx out to rx in loop
you describe in that it doesn't need an external switch and it takes advantage
of the mp's pre 1st stage rf amp bandpass filters, attenuator, and the 1st rf
amp as a buffer, so it is protected from picking up other local station's
signals, very important in m/m station.  Using the rx out to rx in loop would
expose the sdr-iq to overload from other transmitters and also would rely on
the external switch for isolation from the transmitter it is connected to...
and might also affect the main rx by either attenuating the incoming signal or
allowing noise to be injected.

The impedance of that line appears to be relatively low, after the transformer
on the rf board there is an attenuator using 220 ohm resistors to ground.  I
put in a 1uv signal on 40m and could see no change in the sub rx signal level
with or without the y and with or without the sdr-iq connected to it so I am
confident the loss of sensitivity will be negligible... and it is only on the
sub rx which is not the best rx to listen on anyway.

As far as the physical aspects of the mod... it has no permanent change to any
board, can be installed and removed in about 5 minutes(mostly time taking out
and putting in the top case screws), and requires no case modification if you
just route the cable out the top access panel.

I am now testing it on one radio of my so2r/40m station and it seems to be
working well.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://wiki.k1ttt.net
AR-Cluster node: 145.69MHz or telnet://k1ttt.net:7373