[RTTY] Use of Oscilloscope In RTTY

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Use of Oscilloscope In RTTY
From: "John MacFarlane" <John.MacFarlane@metrovancouver.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 09:20:49 -0800
Are 'hardware' oscilloscopes commonly used these days for tuning and
monitoring RTTY signals - is it essential or nice to have? I know that
some software has a proxy scope that can be displayed on a computer
screen but from time to time I see references to the use of test
equipment.

Is a piece of hardware 'better' for tuning-in a signal than doing it by
eye on the computer screen - or relying on a software scope?

How is the oscilloscope actually connected to the system to monitor the
signal - is it a 'hard' connections? I'm a relatively new ham so please
don't take knowledge for granted in response - many thanks 73

John VE7AXU / VA7PX