[3830] WPX CW VE7ASK SO(TS)AB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW VE7ASK SO(TS)AB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 22:18:49 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: VE7ASK
Operator(s): VE7ASK
Station: VE7ASK

Class: SO(TS)AB LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 21

------------
  160:    0
   80:   16
   40:  102
   20:  237
   15:   54
   10:    3
------------

Club:

Comments:

Last year:      9,870 pts. -- G5RV at 27', 30-50W
This year:    269,348 pts. -- DF4SA spider beam at 27', 100W

Difference: better conditions, a bit more gain, a lot more time.

Built DF4SA's spider beam in time for this one. An easy-to-build and cheap
full-size wire tribander (3/3/4). Worked well, though up only 27 ft. for now.
Haven't broken 200 Qs on any band before from the home QTH, but the very low
beam earned 237 on 20 this time. I have 1,000 feet of ridge rising due east out
of the back yard. Note to self: move to house that is not under big mountain.

Observations
------------
80M was very noisy, giving up just 16 QSOs.

40M was OK, worth 102 contacts. The G5RV was all right, but more height would
make for bigger points -- this is the band to quickly rack up points with a
modest setup, expecially with early morning JA openings.

20M was open round the clock, it seemed. EUs heard or workable from early
morning till into the evening. Mushy signals from eastern NA on Saturday
afternoon and Sunday morning.

15M offered frustratingly thin openings to the midwest and western states, but
no further from here. Signals were either S9 or in the mud.

10M didn't really open here -- 3 Qs (XE1MM, HC8N and WX5S).

Worked HC8N on all but 80 and 160. Heard D4B in Cape Verde, but couldn't crack
even the modest pile-up. Heard JT1CO Mongolia, but again wasn't able to make it
happen. Did work EA8BH in the Canaries, and JY9QJ in Jordan, keeping me happy.

Special thanks to IR2A and SP4D (and quite a few others) who stayed with me to
get all the info correct.

Nice to hear:
The Quartz Hill lads on the air (ZL6QH);
Mike KH6ND burning open even dead bands all weekend; and
All the CK, VC and CJ special Canuck calls. Made the old VE prefix somewhat more
rare, hi.

Consistently biggest signals here in southern BC: KH6ND, KX7M, NG6O, and KF6RIP.
Like markers on the band.

All the best and CU in the next one!

73,
Bud, VE7ASK