[3830] SCC RTTY VA7ST SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SCC RTTY VA7ST SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 10:27:29 -0700
                    SCC RTTY Championship

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: SOAB LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 9

   80:    3    6     3
   40:   21   44    17
   20:   79  191    38
   15:    2    5     2
   10:    0    0     0
------------------------
Total:  105  246    60  Total Score = 14,760

Club:

Comments:

Conditions were up and down at this QTH. A lot of pretty major QSB -- a few
times I found myself hoping we could get the exchange done before the signal
faded away.

10M didn't open here at all. No signals. Period.
15M brought KH6ND and N8GZ, and that's it. (Thanks guys).
20M was all right, with a nice opening to JA from 0600z to 0730z.
40M not so hot, providing just 21 QSOs. Noise was S7 here.
80M was lousy -- probably more a function of poor participation than
    band conditions.

Seems few stations bother with noisy ol' 80M, which is a shame. In recent
contests it has been almost vacant, and there are such nice points/mults to be
had. The stations I did hear were very loud (VE6YR, K0FX, W6TVF) so I figure
antennas and propagation were adequate for contacts.

I managed to work just about every station I heard, one way or another. Just
didn't hear all that many stations.

Despite better antennas and better software (N1MM 3.0.60 +MMTTY worked
beautifully) I didn't quite hit last year's mark of 18,600 points/112 QSOs. Shut
down at about 0730z Sunday when no signals were heard anywhere. Planned to jump
in again for the final hour but didn't wake up till 1210z -- as Maxwell Smart
said, "Missed it by 'THAT' much."

This is a great contest, and it could be even better without the band-change
rule for SOAB.

73 and thanks for the contacts!

Bud, VA7ST