[3830] NA Sprint CW VA7ST LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW VA7ST LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 18:28:32 -0700
                    NA Sprint CW Contest

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: Single Op LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 1.25

   80:   0        0
   40:   2      0.1
   20:  32     1.15
---------------------
Total:  34     Mults = 15  Total Score = 510

Club:

Team:

Comments:

Well, I had fun for a while -- but lasted only an hour and 14 minutes before
melt-down. I was on pace for a very modest but presentable score, well outpacing
last year, but just couldn't hold up against the intense action.

My-fault issue 1:
Contending with wall-to-wall S9+20 signals so close together was just too much
for me and the rig. The stock FT920 has a rough time with nearby big signals,
without narrow, sharp filters installed. The result: front-end swamping enough
that I couldn't hear many weaker stations well enough to finish even the
lightning-speed Sprint exchange. Must address that before next year's event.
INRAD has the answer to that problem.

My-fault issue 2:
Despite running just fine in pre-contest checking, the shack's slow computer
(P200) decided to start sending punky CW. It got better but was still not quite
right even after I pushed the software's priority to realtime. Next time, I'll
haul out the fast laptop.

My-fault issue 3:
This one was all in my head. I can copy CW at an adequate speed -- to 35 wpm or
so (faster than I can send) -- but I got a bit addled with lots of signals in
the same space. Those filters are an absolute necessity for me now. Kudos to
everyone able to handle the competing CW action -- to me, it was like trying to
drink from a firehose!

I could have held out the entire 4 hours, but as I chased around for tailend
opportunities, I found myself getting frustrated and figured contesting should
be so much fun I don't notice the hard work -- and it almost always is :)

The low DF4SA-designed homebrew Spider beam seemed to play all right on 20M for
the 32 QSOs I managed to log there. A few fills required, but with LP in the HP
fray, I was happy.

Year-over-year stats:

Year       Hours      QSOs     Mults   Points
2002        3.50        45        15      675 (just 14 in first 1.25 hours)
2003        1.25        34        15      510

Will definitely be in there next year. 1,000 points or bust :)

73,
Bud, VA7ST