[3830] CQ/RJ WW RTTY VA7ST SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ/RJ WW RTTY VA7ST SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 18:00:46 -0700
                    CQ/RJ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: SOAB LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 15.75

   80:   27           14       3     4
   40:   25            9       4     6
   20:  129           36      26    17
   15:   66            7      22    22
   10:   10            1       7     7
Total:  257  394      67      62    56  Total Score = 101,304

Club:

Comments:

Gear: FT920, DF4SA spider beam, G5RV
      N1MM Logger v3.0.91

I just love the race to the finish in the last half hour of this contest. Last
year was spectacular, and this year it was pretty good.

By 23:30z Sunday, if you haven't already worked out the band, it's like being a
kid in a candy store with so many stations, so many last-minute points to chase.
I try it a lot but never have much luck calling CQ. After hitting my goals with
10 minutes to spare, I devoted the final 10 minutes to calling on a frantic 20M
band to hand out the BC mult to anyone who could hear me. Worked a bunch in a
row, which is always a thrill for this op.

Highlights and Observations:
----------------------------
Didn't hear D4B all weekend, then found them low on 20M with few callers with 20
minutes to go. Six continents. Gotta like that. A minute earlier I stumbled upon
HC8N just up the band. Two good mults from the unexpected file. Only managed the
Galapagos lads on 20, 15 and 10 this time out. Last year I think it was a
five-bander.

Was called by VR2BG in the last hour, too, up on 15M. Nice surprise there.
Managed a few short runs of JA stations on 15. Only VK/ZL was ZL2AMI -- always
appreciate the contacts (last year, also only 1 ZL, 0 VKs). Of course, anyone
with a hank of wire out the window would have heard KH7X -- big signals!

Comparisons from last year:

2002  80' G5RVs
2003  28' tribander, 30' G5RV, same rig but N1MM added (super software!)

      QSOs    Mults    Time     Score       Pts/hr  QSOs/hr
2002   397     280     30 hrs   268,520     8,951   13.2
2003   257     168     16 hrs   101,304     6,331   16.1

With much lower antennas at the home QTH, and conditions not nearly as good
now(10M was good for 101 Qs last year, only 10 this year), I expected to fare
worse than in 2002. Sure, that's exactly what happened, but it was helpful to
compare the home vs. "contest QTH" experiences.

The numbers indicate that while my hourly average rate was better this year
(more domestic contacts?), the home QTH's low tribander and G5RV don't pull in
the mults as well as an 70'-high G5RV and Extended Lazy-H. We'll see what the
ol' spider beam does when I get a tower set up, hopefully for next year's
contest high season.

Even operating out of B.C.'s RF black hole can be a lot of fun. But I think I'll
be back among the tall trees in the country for CQWW CW, hi.

Hope to hear everyone in CQP next weekend!

-- Bud, VA7ST (VE7ASK)