[3830] Makrothen RTTY VA7ST SO/Single Xcvr LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] Makrothen RTTY VA7ST SO/Single Xcvr LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2004 11:07:54 -0800
                    Makrothen RTTY Contest

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: SO/Single Xcvr LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 9

   80:   19   43250
   40:   13   38250
   20:   77  289250
   15:   37  272250
   10:    0       0
------------------
Total:  146  643000  Total Score = 643,000

Club:

Comments:

Had to be in the first running of this interesting contest.

Used N1MM Logger's Stew Perry contest setup, so claimed score is an
approximation, arrived at by reverse-engineering the Stew Perry point system:

1. Subtract one point for each QSO (Stew Perry gives 1 point per)
2. Divide the result by 2 (Stew Perry gives 2x points for low power)
3. Multiply the result by 500 km to get rough idea of Makrothen km-points

Was on for the 2 a.m. Pacific start, but worked only 4 stations in that first
hour at the rig so packed it in. Got up for a bit of an EU opening at 1500z, but
only worked a handful of OH, SP and UA ops.

Enjoyed a nice run of 8,000-km contacts with JA stations on 15m at 2230z, and
another good JA run on 20m at 0120z Sunday.

Noted that the low end of 40M was a hazard zone with phone contesters during
primetime Saturday evening.

Jumped up from 80m late Saturday night to find UQ1D all alone on a dead band.
Fun to see DO00 work NO00. Really late Saturday night (10 p.m. local) visited
dead 20M band again, only to find ZL4AD all alone working EU. Sqeezed 12,000 kms
out of that contact, when not another sound was heard on the band.

Propagation is officially "good" any time I work EU on the low 40m inverted vee
-- managed one Q in that class (YL7A must have one heck of a 40m dipole to hear
me through the noise).

Lots of activity considering this is the first year for this contest. Suspect
quite a few ops jumped down to RTTY land during breaks from the DX phone
contest. Noticed I worked more than my usual share of Canadian provinces and
territories, so some good VE support was there for this inaugural running.

Thanks for the QSOs. It was a lot of fun -- this is one to be in next year!

-- Bud, VA7ST