[3830] Commonwealth VA7ST Restricted LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] Commonwealth VA7ST Restricted LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 11:20:54 -0800
                    RSGB Commonwealth Contest, CW

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: Restricted LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 1.4

------------
   80:   0
   40:   0
   20:  16
   15:   8
   10:   0
------------
Total:  23  Total Score = 580

Club:

Comments:

As usual, I had forgotten about the RSGB Commonwealth Contest until I heard a
bunch of VE stations on 20m calling "CQ BERU." Jumped in right away (6 hours
after contest start) and worked VE3 and VE2 in the first minute.

During the next hour or so I worked three G stations, but that was about it for
EU on 20. Couple hours later worked 5B4AGN with a big sig into BC.

Had much better luck with the VK/ZL path to the southwest -- EU and most of NA
are blocked by a very close-in 13-degree high mountain to the east, but Oceania
and Asia are much better shots.

Worked a string of easy-copy ZL stations on 15m from 1943z to 2000z. VE6JY
called in, too -- very weak here on the back of my low 3-el wire yagi, but I
figured that typically huge signal was probably landing somewhere in New Zealand
at +20db, hi.

Best half hour was from 0430 to 0500z on 20m (band dead to most of the world)
when I worked 7 ZLs and a VK before shutting things down.

Played for 1.4 hours total during the the day and night. Great VE and ZL
activity. Wish I could have worked more VE stations, but said mountain was in
the way.

>From the new QTH (moving day is March 31) that mountain ridgeline goes from 13
degrees to between 3 and 6.5 degrees. Sure, nothing close to the flat horizons
of a prairie farm, but it will greatly improve my path into important beam
headings -- the rest of Canada, eastern states, SA, AF, plus I'll gain a 0- to
2-degree horizon towards EU. Looking forward to hearing a few more of those
stronger low-angle signals.

This is a fun contest, and I intend to be there again next time I stumble across
someone calling "CQ BERU."

73, Bud VA7ST