V31EV ARRL DX CW M/S AB (corrected with comments)

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: V31EV ARRL DX CW M/S AB (corrected with comments)
From: albraun@socketis.net (albraun@socketis.net)
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 96 17:46:16 +0000
                 ARRL INTERNATIONAL DX CONTEST -- 1996

      Call: V31EV                    Country:
      Mode: CW                       Category: Multi Single

      BAND     QSO    QSO PTS    STATES/PROV

      160      262      786          45
       80      534     1602          52
       40     1054     3162          53
       20     1324     3972          56
       15      994     2982          57
       10      100      300          13
     -----------------------------------

     Totals   4268    12804         276  =   3,533,904

Operator List: NS0B/V31EV, WC0W/V31TP, WG9L/V31RC

Equipment Description: Kenwood TS-450
                       Butternut vertical for 40/80/160
                       Mosley TA-33jr for 10/15/20

           MAILING ADDRESS:

               Alan Braun  V31EV
               1516 Friendship Rd.
               Jefferson City, MO 65101

This was a 2nd-time effort for me; WC0W has been to V3 a number of
times before and WG9L was there for the first time.  We were pleased
with our results, having made 200 more QSO's than last year but fewer
mults and fewer points than last year due to 10 not opening much.

We started out on 20 and immediately had a large pileup, and basic-
ally stayed on the highest open band during the day.  Our operating
strategy during the night consisted of trying to maximize multipliers
on 80 and especially on 160.  160 was in pretty poor shape Saturday
morning but was much better on Sunday.  I don't know whether it was
the low sunspots or the fact that we had 2 radials for our vertical
cut for 160 this year (and none last year!) but in any case we did
better than I could have ever hoped for on that band.  We even had
a lengthy (almost 2 hrs at 100+ Q's per hour) run on 160 on Sunday
morning!  A little juice would have helped though as I think we were
hearing people better than they could hear us.

The real disappointment of the weekend was 10 meters.  What a dif-
ference a 10 point drop in solar flux (from last year to this) made!
10 really stank, with only a brief opening on Sunday afternoon.

Overall it was a very satisfying experience, and much less tiring
with 3 operators than it was with just 2.  Thanks go to Daniel Silva
of San Ignacio, Belize, the owner/operator of Cahal Pech Village, who
allowed us to use his backyard deck as the anchor for our antennas
and whose family was very hospitable to us the whole time we were
there.

We will be QSL'ing all contacts both in and outside the contest via
the bureau, but it may take awhile to get that done as we will need to
reprint the cards and process them.  If anyone is in a hurry to get a
QSL I still have a few old cards from last year and will try to answer
direct requests as quickly as I have time for.  (Non-contest QSLs for
QSO's made by V31TP and V31RC go to the callbook addresses of WC0W
and WG9L respectively.)  Thanks to all for the QSO's.
73 - Alan, John and Bob

* Alan Braun MD, NS0B/V31EV *Internet: albraun@socketis.net       *
* Jefferson City, MO        *Packet: NS0B@N0LBA.#cemo.mo.usa.noam *