K3WW CQ 160 SSB Multi (a few hrs)

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: K3WW CQ 160 SSB Multi (a few hrs)
From: k3ww@fast.net (Charles Fulp)
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 1996 23:30:52 +0000
K3WW + packet our nodes don't disable sh/users even during the
4 weekends where Mail etc is shut off (CQWW and ARRL DX weekends)
Grabbed a few multipliers and club members from the screen as
usual, thus the MULTI op entry.

456 Q  46 States  5 countries  51,459 points

Called ON4UN a few different times, couldnt get thru, often
NO one got thru.  That convinced me not to bother chasing much
DX in the few hours I planned to spend.  My ears feel ready for
SSB, a few points go in the club pot, so I feel it was a pretty
successful contest.

Self spotting is something I'm not comfortable with, but the CQ160
rules have not addressed this yet (as the CQWW has).  The only
positive thing I can think of is a fair number of guys  have
been dragged onto 160, loading up everything from dummy loads
to tribanders, only to become hooked.  Some have gone on to
put up real 160 meter antennas over the last few years, others
have found they can do an AMAZING amount of contesting, just
using a tribander and a few watts of output.  I suspect this
is part of the reason for the increased activity.  If it drops
off when the sunspots return, so much for that theory.

73 Chas.  k3ww@fast.net
http://www.users.fast.net/~k3ww