NAQP K5GA

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: NAQP K5GA
From: K5GA@aol.com (K5GA@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 1996 13:55:00 -0400
Operation from N5DU

Radios: IC-765

            IC-738

Antennas:  2-el Quad @ 60'     10-15-20

                 Rot. dipole@60'      40

                 Sloper @60'           80

                 Half sloper@40'      160

I had no big station to operate from, so Bob N5DU asked me to come over
and use his station at his Dad's house. Nothing fancy, but very comfortable
to operate from. Inside, the station is , I think, the best engineered
station
I have ever had the opportunity to operate from. Ergonomically, Bob has
put a lot of thought into the layout. Just tremendous.

All antennas are on the one tower. I therefore had a lot of interference from
the two radios. Very difficult when you are trying to pull someone out while
Cqing on the other radio. Two-radioing is not meant to be done like this
!!!!!

This is my "coming-out" contest using the TR LOG program. Bob gave me
about 20 min. of basic instruction right before the contest. The rest I had
learn as I went during the contest. So, if I ended up QRMing you guys, I
apologize. At times, I was lost in the "sequence" and did not know what
to do. It was a mess. However, after about 5 or 6 hours into the contest,
I got the hang of it and started handling it OK. So, if I can learn more
about
the program with more practice, I can definitely say I will be doing better
in
upcoming events.

The one thing I had a problem with is determining which mults I needed on
the various bands. NA does this very well. If there is a good way to do it
other than the screen at the right-hand side AFTER logging the guy, then
tell me.

I missed many mults on 80 and 160. The antennas just were not up to it.
The QRN was a bit rough also. Several I heard, and I called and called with
no results.

Anyway, enough of this. Very enjoyable. A new experience operating from
a small station. See everyone this fall.       Bill   K5GA

                         40............161/48
                         20............225/49

                  FINAL..............609/187