AE0M NAQP CW Score and Story (LONG)

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: AE0M NAQP CW Score and Story (LONG)
From: becker@shell.portal.com (Tony and Celia Becker)
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 1996 16:14:21 -0600
                              NA QSO SUMMARY SHEET

    Contest Dates : 04-Aug-96, 03-Aug-96
    Callsign Used : AE0M
         Operator : AE0M
         Category : Single Operator, Unassisted
 Default Exchange : TONY CA
             Time : 8:35 hrs
              RIG : FT-990 and 486DX2-66 MHz running TRLog v 5.51
        Team/Club : Northern California Contest Club

   BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points   Mults   Antenna
   80CW        3           3          3       1   40m Inv. Vee @ 25'
   40CW      176         176        176      43   40m Inv. Vee @ 25'
   20CW      148         147        147      45   20m Inv. Vee @ 24'
   15CW       16          16         16      12   15/10m trap Vee @26'
 Totals      343         342        342     101

    Final Score = 34542 points.

Story (regular readers only):  Someone said the day of the contest is not
the time to put up the antennas, but the heavy time demands of work and WRTC
had delayed all antenna construction. So, I spent another pre-contest
morning putting up a fourth invisible antenna made of good old #26 stranded
copperweld.  With the traps, this 15-10m vee did not turn out quite so
invisible as the others.  I still need one more for 80m.

WRTC seems to have had an effect on YF Celia, N0BBS, who actually sat down
to practice her CW on PED last week.  Celia is also arranging for a crane to
come and drop a 20' tall redwood tree over the back garden wall and into a
large hole dug in a strategic spot.  She tells me that a well fed and
watered redwood will grow about 5'/yr. until it reaches about 90' tall, and
only then tapers off.  She is also running for the Home Owners Association
BoD this fall.  Once elected, we will be able to count on at least one
member who agrees that our antennas do not violate the CC&R prohibition of
"receiving antennas visible to public view".

With the climbing and the 2:22 late start I was tired and hurried.  My best
10 min. was @ 78/hr. and my best hour was 60.  My lack of mastery of TRLog
was apparent.  When I called KR0Y, I somehow got it out of the S&P mode and
started a CQ instead of the CFRM message.  (Maybe Jeff's new gold medal made
me nervous)?

Celia interupted me twice more with homemade meals, making for another hour
of OFF time.  Still, this was a better than expected result, and I had fun.
At least I have NO line noise!  See you all in the SprINT next weekend.

AE0M, Tony Becker - becker@shell.portal.com - Silicon Valley, U.S.A.