5X1T - CQWW RTTY

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: 5X1T - CQWW RTTY
From: CasierP@wfp.or.ug (CasierP@wfp.or.ug)
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 18:34:25 +0400
     friends,

     I think the CQWW RTTY is the only contest where you can clip your
     toe-nails while running the piles and still come up with a world class
     score hi.

     With my low band antenna still blocked in 9U, and dead tired after a
     hefty week at work, it was a no-no to go all band.

     Started our giving a couple of points to guys on 40 @00z, slept a bit,
     gave some points on 20, slept a bit, and found 15 to jump alive early
     in the morning. Decided on a split second to go monoband on 15m. Amp
     only gave about 200-300 watts, and the only antenna I have is an R7
     vertical with a FT900 RTX. But.. I have a DSP which does wonders in
     reception. Rest of setup is a PK900 and WF1B's software.
     Nice long pileup to EU on Saturday morning on 15, just a bit of JA's
     (which was a surprise), and some US later on. But nothing really much.
     Loads of people asked for QSYs to other bands, and I complied as much
     as possible. A happy man is him who makes other happy, right?

     Sunday was much much weaker. EU was strong, reply was less. No JA, and
     USA came in very weak. Following the motto Mark, ON4WW (now 9X/ON4WW),
     used to proclaim: 'a single band contest is not over because you hear
     no signals anymore', I continued to call CQ after most signals died
     out, and indeed, late in the evening, USA replies started to pop up
     again. I scanned the bands and found loads of multipliers that
     appeared AFTER the band seemingly died: CT3, FG, KP2, HK and even some
     USA states. I do not know how they succeeded to hear me as all of them
     were working USA pileups, clearly pointing their antennas away from
     me.

     End score for 5X1T single band 15m: 170582 points, 429 Qs, 28 states,
     81 countries, 25 zones and all my toe nails clipped.

     73 de Kampala,

     Peter, ON6TT-5X1T.