AB5LX results FISTS sprint

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: AB5LX results FISTS sprint
From: jegold@sat.net (J.E. Goldsberry)
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 1996 00:03:06 -0500
Operator: AB5LX
Exchange: Jay TX Nr. 2545
Equipment: Kenwood TS 850S, 100 watts, 3 element yagi at 56 ft.

Band    QSOs    Mults.  QSO points
----------------------------------
40      3       3       9
20      25      15      98
----------------------------------
Totals  28      18      107

Total Score: 107 X 18 = 1,926

        This was one tough "contest" to work.  First of all, it didn't help
one bit that my beam wouldn't turn away from VK/ZL.  I aslo discovered about
5 minutes before the contest that the beam pointed whichever direction the
wind blew. That doesn't do you much good because the beam didn't change
direction at all during the contest. I pretty much worked people off the
side and back, and occasionally one out west.  I know the FISTS' motto is
'Courtesy at all Times,' but I wasn't a happy camper after the first hour (7
QSOs).
        The high point of the contest was working WP4LNY.  He sent a '?'
after both of my attempts to work him off of the beam, and I ended up
working him on the 40 meter dipole.
        As it stands right now, the back yard looks like a hurricane has
been through here.  My 3 ele. yagi is now laying down in the back yard.  My
tower is a let-down tower, and there were trees in the way.  The trees
didn't affect us when we put up the antenna 3 years ago, but after 3 years
for them to grow, they wanted to bend the antenna when we let the it  down.
Time for a trim.  We now have a half-bald tree, and we aren't finished yet.
To make a long story short, the problem in the rotor was inside the house!
We had checked to make sure the wires were connected, but we had never
thought about untaping a bunch of wires that were taped up. We thought that
if the wires were taped up, there wasn't much of a way that they could come
loose. Wrong! There were 4 wires that weren't making any connection, and
that was what was causing the problem.  It IS a GOOD thing that we had to
let the tower down, though.  There was a catastrophe just waiting to happen
because the u-bolts weren't tightly holding onto the mast.
        The contest was interesting and definitely not what I expected.  The
few people that I did work seemed very nice.

                73, Jason AB5LX