AF7O - first serious (?) effort

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: AF7O - first serious (?) effort
From: imagetec@earthlink.net (imagetec@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 20:46:00 -0700
Call: AF7O                    Country:  United States
Mode: SSB                  Category: SOAB HP, unassisted

Score:

160          6           10         1.67          3         3
 80         33           71         2.15        12       16
 40         69         185         2.68        20       34
 20       357       1000         2.80        30       89
 15         26           55         2.12          9       14
 10       zip..............

Totals   491       1321         2.69        74     156  =>  303,830
points

Equipment:

ICOM 775, 30S1, CT, K1EA DVK, HEIL

Antennas:

160        Half Sloper at 35 feet
 80         Inverted Vee at 55 feet
 40         Force 12 240 at 57 feet
 20         Force 12 420 at 69 feet
20-10    Force 12 C3 at 40 feet

 Some lessons learned are:

1.  Seems like the first three important considerations in contesting
are 1) location, 2) location,
     and 3) location.  Alan, K6XO, told me before I started building the
station that if I wanted to be
     serious the first thing to do is move.
2.  Bigger antennas up higher are better than smaller antennas down
lower!
3.  Don't matter what antennas you got up, if the band ain't open....
I didn't hear anything (!) on 10,
     and I called and called the few stations I heard on 15 with very
few responses.
4.

Comments:

I felt like this was a pretty good first effort. I thought I was being
serious but, I
suppose my 8 hours of off time took me out of that category. Worked
almost entirely S&P.
As crowded as 20 was, I worked virtually everything I heard. Called CQ
some but couldn't
get anything going. It was great fun and I'm hooked. Next step? Bigger
antennas, up higher!

73, Darryl
email -- imagetec@earthlink.net