K5NA CQWW 96 SSB SO/HP/AB

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: K5NA CQWW 96 SSB SO/HP/AB
From: k5na@bga.com (Richard L. King)
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 10:52:51 -0600
Susan and I managed to get a TH7 up on the first tower the weekend before
the CQWW SSB Contest. In spite of the TH7 falling 30 feet to the ground when
the tram line broke, we only had one slightly bent element and the TH7 is
working fine. But that is another story.

I decided to do a semi-serious effort to shake out the TH7 and see how our
new QTH played. A semi-serious effort is one where you sleep a lot more and
don't call CQ on a crowed band that much. Not liking SSB was part of this
decision. Another reason for this was to start gaining experience on
operating from Texas again. It has been almost 20 years since I did a
contest from the Southwest and I had forgotten whatever little I knew from
before.

So for the first time in years I did a single-op without packet, without two
radios, without a 40M beam, and without multiple transmitting and receiving
antennas on each band. I still enjoyed the experience and it was interesting
to say the least. However, I still have a lot to learn about contesting from
here.

I was pleased to give a QSO to all the zero point USA callers. Please call
me during the ARRL Sweepstakes to say hello again.

********

                    CQ WORLD WIDE DX CONTEST -- 1996

      Call: K5NA                     Country:  United States
      Mode: SSB                      Category: Single Operator - High Power

      160       27       57     2.11     10      18  - Inverted Vee at 78 feet
       80       80      193     2.41     20      48  - Inverted vee at 75 feet
       40      146      399     2.73     23      69 - Sloping dipoles (2) at
70 feet
       20      356      798     2.24     28      86  - TH7 at 81 feet
       15      304      784     2.58     27      85  - TH7 at 81 feet
       10      117      324     2.77     14      30  - TH7 at 81 feet

     Totals   1030     2555     2.48    122     336  => 1,170,190

Equipment Description: IC765 => Henry 2K Classic (DTR2000L for 160 meters)

               Richard L. King  K5NA
               RR 1, Box 140
               Manor, TX 78653
K5NA@BGA.COM