CQWW SSB from EI7M

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: CQWW SSB from EI7M
From: jbarry@curia.ucc.ie (John Barry EI7DNB)
Date: 01 Nov 1996 21:42:15 -0800
Raw Score :-

                   CQ WORLD WIDE DX CONTEST  1996

      Call: EI7M                     Country:  Ireland
      Mode: SSB                      Category: Multi Single

      160      117      117     1.00      4      33
       80      358      533     1.49     17      75
       40      435      605     1.39     18      73
       20     1061     1897     1.79     29      98
       15     1057     2340     2.21     32     111
       10       25       50     1.92      9      25

     Totals   3053     5542     1.81    109     415  =>  2,904,008

Op's : EI8GS, EI7DNB, EI9HC, EI5HB, EI4BZ, EI3DP & EI6BT

SoapBox :

This contest started badly, and didn't get a whole lot better! We have to
put up our beams field day style on friday, and the 40m beam just would
not tune, and it took several hours of raising/lowering the tiltover mast
to get it right. During the contest, the wx started to get worse, and we
lost the 160m dipole, and 40m beam, which meant no 160m on the second
night, and only one antenna for the low bands which restricted the
multiplier station.

Having said that, a great time was had by all, conditions seemed to be
well down on last year, especially in northern Europe. We were never able
to call CQ on 10m, but worked 25 mults, all of which were weak, and had
heavy QSB.
The best band for us was 15m, with a lot of juicy mults, but no big rate.
In fact, we were never able to get much of a run going, 164 being the
best hour.
20m was very busy, lots of QRM which made life difficult, and we were
restriced on the lowbands due to our antenna problems. The highlight on
40m was working 9M8R when the whole of EU seemed to be in the pileup.
There were quite a few stations asking us to move to 160m on Sunday night
but we couldn't and we are missing a lot of easy mults on that band.

On Sunday evening, the wind picked up, and by the end of the contest it
was too windy to attempt any antenna work. It got worse during the night,
the 'tailend' of Hurricane Lily passed the south coast of EI, with gusts
of 100mph+ and which wrecked our 15m beam, and also damaged the 20m beam.
There is now a job list as long as your arm to be completed in time for
the CW leg.

Thanks for all the QSO's & CU in the CW test

Best 73's

John EI7DNB

** QSL via EI6HB *** or Buro